Productivity Hacks: DaVinci’s Mind Mapping


http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140121122453-271580474-productivity-hacks-davinci-s-mind-mapping?trk=object-title

This post is part of a series in which LinkedIn Influencers share their secrets to being more productive. See all their #productivityhacks here.
Trying to get smarter, I once read a book on Leonardo DaVinci that promised to help you find your inner genius. The book was interesting and insightful, but I still cannot paint or draw and I never discovered a dormant talent for invention. I did, however, discover a technique called “mind mapping” derived from DaVinci’s approach to note taking. It revolutionized my approach to organizing ideas and managing complex tasks.
Leonardo is immortalized in his famous notebooks. He took notes, sketched inventions like the helicopter and drew beautiful images of the human body. He loved nature and was both intensely curious and exceptionally observant. He memorialized all he saw and all he thought. In his notebooks, the maestro would often connect drawings and words, in a free flowing tree-like branch structure. With a glance, you could quickly understand his meaning and impressions. That model was the inspiration for mind mapping techniques that can powerfully substitute for classic outlining, with its mechanical roman numerals, topics and subtopics.
Modern studies of the brain reveal that we process and recall visual images more strongly than written ones. The brain likes pictures. Drawing and connecting images also triggers the more creative regions of the brain. By mapping your thoughts in a visual manner you are sparking insight in the mind. Sketching out your ideas by starting with a central idea in the middle and then drawing out connections to other images and ideas that flow from your central thesis allows you to map out concepts and tasks in a quicker and more natural way—without the linear constraints of traditional outlining techniques.
In my world, I use maps all the time. When I stand at a podium to give a speech, I will only have a single page map in front of me showing and connecting the ideas I will talk about.
This helps me speak more naturally and not feel chained to text. I map out strategic plans for the organization, as well as plan projects and board meetings. I even map out my “to do” list for the week. Mind mapping is an exceptional technique for running brainstorming sessions as well. I also find mind mapping software very useful, and I can create map presentations rather than using the same old PowerPoint approach.
I recommend two programs. I use Mindmeister, which is purely an online, cloud-based tool. And I also use Mind Manager, which can be used both offline and online. Each has apps for the iPad as well.
Leonardo said “Everything is connected to everything else.” His integration of art and words through mind mapping opens up thought and leads to much greater creativity and productivity. Learn how to mind map and unlock your inner DaVinci.
Photo: justasc / shutterstock
Collage: LinkedIn Pulse

Σχόλια

Δημοφιλείς αναρτήσεις από αυτό το ιστολόγιο

A practical mind map tester